Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three caught hauling 18 tonnes of timber

Three caught hauling 18 tonnes of timber

Authorities seize illegal luxury timber during a bust on Saturday in Kampong Thom province. Photo Supplied
Authorities seize illegal luxury timber during a bust on Saturday in Kampong Thom province. Photo supplied

Three caught hauling 18 tonnes of timber

Three men were sent to court yesterday for allegedly hauling more than 18 tonnes of illegally logged first-grade timber in Kampong Thom province.

Teb Nhata, Kampong Thom provincial Forestry Administration chief, said that the three suspects were arrested on Saturday morning in Trach village in Stoung district’s Kampong Chen Choeung commune while transporting thnong, a type of luxury wood, on a truck.

He said the suspects were Sun Phal, the driver, and his two companions, Mao Sakhorn and Tang Lai.

“They were arrested while they were committing the crime,” Nhata said. “The suspects were charged with collecting and hauling forestry products without permission based on Article 96 and 98 of the Forestry Law.”

If found guilty under Article 98, the three suspects could face between one to five years of imprisonment, or a fine of between 10 million and 100 million riel ($2,500 and $25,000), or a combination of the two.

Under Article 96, the fine would amount to three times the market price of the goods.

Nhata said officials seized 1,791 pieces of first grade timber, totalling more than 18 tonnes. The evidence, including the truck and timber, were impounded temporarily at the Forestry Administration office.

MOST VIEWED

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 foreigners in Cambodia, the bulk being from the UK, have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly them out of the Kingdom. The petition is targeted at 15,000 foreigners. Among them are nearly 200 Europeans, the majority

  • Cellcard announces Cambodia’s first use of 5G to help Kingdom during Covid-19

    Cellcard on Friday announced Cambodia’s first use of 5G for a telemedicine service at four locations across Phnom Penh to help the Kingdom’s most critically ill during the Covid-19 outbreak. Cellcard, which is the only 100 per cent Cambodian-owned and "Proudly Khmer" mobile network

  • Health ministry warns against using virus-testing machines

    The Ministry of Health has threatened legal action against anyone who publicised their test results after using COVID-19 rapid testing machines. The ministry said such machines were not even approved or recognised for use by the World Health Organisation (WHO). It said test the results

  • Former CNRP activist nabbed for offering online English classes

    Authorities detained a high school teacher in Kampong Chhnang province on Thursday after he was caught conducting online classes despite the fact that schools had been ordered to close temporarily to prevent Covid-19 infections. Keo Thai teaches at Boribo High School in Kampong Chhnang and

  • National Assembly approves two coal-fired power plants

    The National Assembly (NA) unanimously approved draft laws paving the way for the construction of two coal-fired power plants worth $1.665 billion to supply 100 per cent of electricity required in the Kingdom by 2025. An NA member said at the session that the plants will be located