Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda




Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
At least three people were killed and 13 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction at the Prasat Kokchak Pagoda in Siem Reap province’s Kokchak commune collapsed. Apsara national Authority

Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province.

Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16 victims from the wreckage as of 6pm.

Narong said three victims succumbed to their injuries, while another 13 – including two monks and a construction manager – sustained minor to serious injuries.

“The reason for the collapse was weak construction. [Workers were] putting slabs in the dining hall at the time of the incident. No one has been arrested.

“We searched for the construction workers’ manager, but we found out that he was knocked unconscious in the collapse,” Narong said.

Police said that the structure fell in on itself as workers laid concrete on the first floor of the building inside the pagoda compound, AFP reported.

Provincial deputy police chief Phoeng Chenda Reth said in a statement that the authorities were trying to determine the exact number of victims before an official figure was released.

He said paramedics and ambulances had been dispatched to the scene to assist the victims of the collapse, while rescue teams continued the search with the aid of equipment.

Media outlet Fresh News reported that the dining hall spanned 20m by 20m and had walls measuring 8m high at the time of the incident.

A Prasat Kokchak pagoda monk told The Post that the dining hall had been under construction for several years but the supporting pillars were only put up this year.

“I don’t remember when the construction of the dining hall began, but I can say that they [were putting in] the slabs on Monday,” the monk said.

Siem Reap town governor Nuon Putheara refused to comment on the incident before all the victims were recovered.

From Vietnam, where he is on an official visit, National Committee for Disaster Management first vice-president Kun Kim ordered relevant authorities to rescue and attend to the victims promptly.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped