Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three die after UXO explodes in Prey Veng

Three die after UXO explodes in Prey Veng

Villagers gather around a Prey Veng house yesterday where three people were killed in an accident involving a UXO. Photo supplied
Villagers gather around a Prey Veng house yesterday where three people were killed in an accident involving a UXO. Photo supplied

Three die after UXO explodes in Prey Veng

A 73-year-old man and two of his grandchildren were killed in Prey Veng province’s Preah Sdech district when a decades-old explosive round that he thought had been disarmed exploded after he struck it, police said.

District police chief Chey Seng Heang said that victim Tep Phal had been in possession of a 105mm explosive shell since 1979 and, thinking it inert, was using it as a work surface in the presence of his granddaughter, 12, and grandson, 9.

“Yesterday, he was making poles for tying up cows. He was [hammering] metal pieces onto the poles and was using the bullet shell as a supporting surface. While he was doing that it exploded, killing all three,” Heang said.

The head and most of the contents of the round had been removed long ago, according to Romchek commune chief Pheung Ry, but the shell’s explosive primer was still intact.

“He put the case pointing downward into the ground, and put the pole with metal onto the trigger, and it exploded,” Ry said.

Ry said that Phal was a retired secondary teacher in the district, and noted one of his neighbours had lost a limb to unexploded ordnance in the past.

According to government figures, Prey Veng saw only one UXO casualty in 2015, and hadn’t experienced any as of February of this year, the most recent period for which figures are available.

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided