Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three of four missing fishermen found dead



Three of four missing fishermen found dead

Officials inspect one of the seven boats that sank in the rainstorm that hit Preah Sihanouk last week.
Officials inspect one of the seven boats that sank in the rainstorm that hit Preah Sihanouk last week. Photo supplied

Three of four missing fishermen found dead

A Preah Sihanouk police official yesterday said three of the four fishermen missing since a storm hit the coast on Monday had been found dead, with the fourth man’s whereabouts still unknown.

A powerful rainstorm on Monday resulted in seven fishing boats overturning off the coast of Preah Sihanouk and Koh Kong provinces.

Seven men were missing at sea, all from Preah Sihanouk province’s Stung Hav district. Three of them were found the same day after they swam to safety.

Ros Key, Stung Hav police chief, said after searching for two days officials and local fishermen had located one of the missing men, Eng Tong, 18, on Tuesday night around a kilometre from where his boat sank on Monday.

“The victim’s body was handed over to the victim’s family for the traditional funeral,” he said.

Local Sihanoukville fisherman Seng Phorn, meanwhile, said Tep Ra and Sam Bo were also found dead on Koh Preah Island off the coast of Koh Kong province.

“Now we are finding the last one, called Kuon, but we do not think that he is still alive since he does not swim,” he said, referring to 40-year-old Chey Koun.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting