Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three jailed for kidnap




Three jailed for kidnap

Three jailed for kidnap

PHNOM Penh Municipal Court yesterday sentenced three men to 15 years jail for kidnapping and detaining a 5-year-old boy last year, according to a verdict read out by Judge Duch Kimsorn. The three men, who demanded US$4,000 ransom for the return of the child, were arrested in November last year in Kampong Cham province. During hearings the men denied the charges. The trio’s defence lawyer Uk Vandeth yesterday decribed the verdict as “unacceptable”, and said he hoped his clients would appeal.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old