Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three killed and hundreds displaced by widespread floods



Three killed and hundreds displaced by widespread floods

A flooded street in Tbong Khmum’s Kroch Chhmar district, situated along the Mekong River. Photo supplied
A flooded street in Tbong Khmum’s Kroch Chhmar district, situated along the Mekong River. Photo supplied

Three killed and hundreds displaced by widespread floods

Floods have killed three people and inundated over 10,000 hectares of farmland and 4,000 homes so far this year, leading to the evacuation of 150 families and 4,000 head of cattle, the National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM) has reported.

NCDM spokesman Keo Vy said that recent heavy rains in Preah Vihear town caused the evacuation of at least 60 families to elevated areas, while flooding on Saturday in Preah Vihear’s Choam Ksan district forced 49 families to move to higher ground. “Two died in floods in Choam Ksan and another person died because of flooding from the Mekong River in Prek Prasap district, Kratie province,” said Vy.

Heavy rains that began last Monday led to flooding in six provinces – Oddar Meanchey, Preah Vihear, Kampot, Ratanakkiri, Kratie and Stung Treng – said Vy, and flooded nearly 2,000 homes, completely destroying three. Meanwhile, flash floods from the Mekong in Kratie’s Prek Prasap district and Tbong Khmum province flooded 3,300 houses, 40 schools and 2,700 hectares of agricultural land, while displacing 50 families and 2,000 head of cattle.

On Saturday, the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology announced that it predicted a dry spell lasting from the end of July to the second week of August, due to after-effects from Tropical Storm Nesat, which yesterday was heading for mainland China after battering Taiwan.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said