Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three Stones border row unfounded, says Touch

Three Stones border row unfounded, says Touch

Royal Academy head border researcher Sok Touch visits Takeo province's Three Stones village yesterday. Photo supplied
Royal Academy head border researcher Sok Touch visits Takeo province's Three Stones village yesterday. Photo supplied

Three Stones border row unfounded, says Touch

The Royal Academy’s head border researcher Sok Touch yesterday dismissed claims that Vietnam had encroached into Cambodia’s Three Stones village along the border in Takeo province after inspecting the site.

Touch visited the area after rumours that Vietnam had claimed two of the three “famous” stones that give the village in Borei Cholsar district its name.

Yesterday, he noted Cambodia’s police checkpoint was only 25 metres from the site while the Vietnamese outpost was about 200 metres away, adding there was no evidence Vietnam had impeded access or was farming there. He labelled the rumours political troublemaking.

“The Vietnamese do not know [that location is meaningful]. But journalists and politicians always prod this topic to make it meaningful,” he said.

However, opposition councillor Thy Ny Thoeun insisted local farmers had been pushed out of the area by Vietnamese.

“If [you] don’t believe, come and see … Our Khmer checkpoint is far from [the border], about 20-30 metres, but the yuon built a [checkpoint] nearly on top of the border of the three stones,” he said, using a term for Vietnamese considered offensive by some.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will