Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thy Sovantha files suit after car is smashed up



Thy Sovantha files suit after car is smashed up

Social media star Thy Sovantha, seen speaking to the press outside the Phnom Penh court earlier this year, has filed a complaint against San Bunthoeun for inciting the vandalism of her car.
Social media star Thy Sovantha, seen speaking to the press outside the Phnom Penh court earlier this year, has filed a complaint against San Bunthoeun for inciting the vandalism of her car. Hong Menea

Thy Sovantha files suit after car is smashed up

Social media personality Thy Sovantha has filed an incitement complaint against fellow social media provocateur San Bunthoeun after her car was smashed up following a drunken rant posted to Facebook by Bunthoeun.

On June 3, he allegedly verbally attacked the former opposition supporter turned ruling party cheerleader via Facebook Live. Sovantha claims the destruction of her property was a direct result of Bunthoeun’s threatening words.

“If she is a traitor, why not take action against her? Thy Sovantha! Just take her. Where is she driving to? Lexus 570, just besiege her! Do it! Don’t let her cheat you again. You want to let her drive a 570 easily like that?” Bunthoeun is quoted as saying in the complaint.

Sovantha pressed charges in accordance with Article 495 of the Criminal Code, which deals with “incitement to commit a crime”, and requested that Bunthoeun receive additional punishments as prescribed in Article 498. She could not be reached yesterday.

Bunthoeun returned to Facebook yesterday to acknowledge the lawsuit, but downplayed the situation. He also denied that his speech led to the incident.

“What incitement? I was drinking at the time. If it isn’t true, we can file a complaint against her for defamation,” he said in another live video.

“To be on the good side, both sides should drop the weapon and choose peace,” he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said