Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Timber burned at Mondulkiri ELC



Timber burned at Mondulkiri ELC

A pile of smouldering logs sits in a field belonging to Binh Phuoc Kratie Rubber 1 at a Mondulkiri ELC late last week after they were allegedly burned in an attempt to destroy evidence. Photo supplied
A pile of smouldering logs sits in a field belonging to Binh Phuoc Kratie Rubber 1 at a Mondulkiri ELC late last week after they were allegedly burned in an attempt to destroy evidence. Photo supplied

Timber burned at Mondulkiri ELC

Hundreds of logs of timber, including luxury wood, as well as sawmill camps were torched at a controversial Vietnamese-owned economic land concession in Mondulkiri province’s Keo Seima district in an apparent bid to destroy evidence of illegal logging ahead of a raid by a new anti-logging committee.

Eng Hy, spokesman for the joint committee – formed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on January 14 to crack down on illegal logging and timber smuggling to Vietnam – said the team was investigating after inspectors found charred logs at the rubber concession of Binh Phuoc Kratie Rubber 1, a subsidiary of the Vietnam Rubber Group (VRG).

“The burning down of timber did happen … Whether it was to destroy evidence or not, it is a crime,” Hy said, adding he had yet to receive a report from his men on the ground and could not talk in detail about the case.

“If it is the case that they tried to destroy evidence, we can use both the Forestry Law and the Criminal Code [to prosecute] but we do not know yet who set the fire.”

According to nearby residents of Sre Chhouk commune, which is home to mostly ethnic Phnong villagers locked in a long-running land dispute with the company, the burning of timber at the 5100-hectare concession started last week, though smoke from fires could still be seen yesterday night.

“They burned on the land of Binh Phuoc 1 a few days ago; when they could not hide [the wood] in time, they burned it,” said a 32-year-old Phnong villager, who declined to be named as residents had allegedly been threatened by the company, which could not be reached yesterday.

The stockpiles included luxury wood such as beng and thnong, which, for logs of larger diameter, can fetch up to $4,000 per cubic metre if sold across the Vietnamese border, according to an NGO Forum report.

Sok Rotha, Mondulkiri provincial coordinator for the rights group Adhoc, said several different stockpiles were set alight prior to the committee’s arrival.

“Hundreds of pieces of timber were burnt,” Rotha said, calling it an brazen attempt to conceal illegal logging that showed timber barons were “not afraid” of the government’s renewed push against the trade.

“The community network was banned from entering the sites where timber stockpiles were burned, they were strictly guarded. It is impossible that an outsider could have set the fire. It may have been the owner who burned the timber.”

Nearby communities have long accused the company of using its concession to launder illegal wood felled outside its boundaries and say wealthy businessman Seong Sam Ol – who along with tycoon Lim Bunna, has been named by the government as the crackdown’s prime target – is the timber’s buyer.

Yesterday, another community member, 38, said much of the timber held at the site came from outside the ELC, and included many resin trees logged from his community.

“I witnessed fires at three locations with over 60 pieces; each stockpile had between 20 and 30 logs, which belonged to Oknha Ol,” he said, referring to Sam Ol by an honorific title reserved for businessmen who donate more than $100,000 to the government. “They set fire to it themselves. They wanted to damage the evidence.”

Sam Ol could not be reached yesterday.

A 2013 report by the NGO Forum investigating logging in Keo Seima district, also connected to Binh Phuoc, described Sam Ol as a “powerful timber trader” who bought timber from the company and once led a group of armed guards to recover chainsaws seized from loggers by local villagers.

Hak Sophan, administrative director of Mondulkiri Provincial Hall, yesterday declined to comment on the case.

The 10-member committee, which is led by military police commander Sao Sokha, who has been accused of involvement with illegal logging in the past, has overseen raids at several concessions and timber warehouses in the past 10 days.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants