Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Time-out a short one

Time-out a short one

Time-out a short one

Nearly four months after a subsidiary of tycoon Kith Meng’s Royal Group had its contract to log at the Lower Sesan II dam site suspended over allegations of illegal logging, an agreement to restart operations – made without the consent of affected communities – is close to being finalised.

Forest Administration officials said yesterday that since the ban on logging was imposed, Ministry of Agriculture officials had met “several” times with representatives of Royal Group subsidiary Ang & Associates Ltd, which has a joint contract to log in the dam site.

On October 16, the government ordered the contract suspended until the area could be demarcated, and it called on the Ministry of Agriculture to establish a commission of inquiry into the allegations. Four months later, no investigation has taken place.

“The demarcation is finished. A committee is checking all the points in the field, according to the map provided by the Ministry of Industry. The field team has not reported back yet,” Chheng Kimsun, country director of the Forestry Administration, said.

“If everything is a go, we can continue the forestry with the new demarcation,” he said, adding that he was not aware that any inquiry into the allegations had ever existed.

The probable renewal of the logging contract, which locals remain firmly opposed to, comes a day after the Post reported that construction at the controversial dam site had already started.

Ang & Associates reportedly signed a joint contract last year with local businessman Sok Vanna, the brother of Sokimex founder Sok Kong, to clear the 36,000-hectare site in preparation for the construction.

By November 13, the ministry had still not responded to the Council of Ministers’ request for in inquiry, according to a letter obtained by the Post in November.

Phay Siphan, spokesman for the Council of Ministers, said yesterday that he had not received an official response from the ministry to this day regarding the inquiry it was ordered to launch.

“At that time, a number of adjacent areas [to the concession] have been abused by people cutting logs and bringing them to the concession area [illegally]. Since then, I have no idea. The request by Council of Ministers was for the Agriculture Ministry to carry out the inquiry,” he said.

The Forestry Administration’s announcement comes amid reports that logging in community forests near the dam concession has been ongoing since December, despite the moratorium.

Meach Mean, coordinator of the 3S Rivers Protection Network, said that numerous credible reports had emerged from the area detailing the movement of trucks illegally transporting timber from community forests into the concession.

“Many trucks have been exporting timber from the area. Illegal logging is still going on over the last few months since the government released the letter about the logging,” he said. “During November, the logging restarted. In December, up to now, the trucks still export wood from that area. Illegal logging is still going on and the logs are being brought into the concession area.”

Representatives of the Royal Group and Ang & Associates yesterday declined to comment, saying the employees in charge of the logging contract were unavailable.

Community representatives yesterday delivered a petition to three government ministries, the Chinese embassy, the Royal Group offices and the National Assembly, calling for talks to open with the companies building the dam – the Royal Group and Chinese firm Hydrolancang International Energy.

Fut Khoeurn, 35, a representative of communities affected by the dam’s construction, said yesterday that he wanted “the company and the government to meet with the people face-to-face at the site to see the real situation”.

Despite the petitioning by the group of community representatives, which represents more than 10,000 people who will be directly affected by the dam’s construction, the Forestry Administration’s Kimsun said yesterday that all sides had agreed to accept the compensation offered by the authorities.

“The government has certified that they have provided acceptable compensation and everyone has accepted it. So I do not know about these people and where they come from,” he said, adding that he had “not yet gone to the field”.

“They ordered very clearly that relocation and compensation is acceptable for all parties.”

Mean, however, disagreed. “He’s a little bit confused. The 12 communities around the dam site, they have already accepted, but more than 5,000 families in the reservoir zone have rejected the offer.”

Seak Mekong, Sesan district’s Srekor commune chief, said: “I think it is unacceptable. The company and the government have seriously violated the rights of the ethnic people.”

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CHEANG SOKHA

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

    The former chief bodyguard of late Senate president Chea Sim has received a royal pardon nearly eight years after he was sentenced to 15 years behind bars on several charges, according to a royal decree dated November 12, last year, and obtained by The Post on Wednesday.

  • Close to the edge: Hair raising pictures from Kulen Mountain

    A new hair raising attraction on Kulen Mountain has finally opened to the public, with people flocking to the protruding cliff edge overlooking green mountainous forests to take photographs. The giant overhanging rock is situated in an area known as Mahendraparvata – an ancient city of

  • US warned not to interfere despite successful meeting

    A senior Ministry of National Defence official said the Tuesday meeting between the US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for South and Southeast Asia Joseph H Felter and General Neang Phat had helped strengthen relations between the two countries’ militaries. However, a senior Cambodian People’