Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Toll climbs as floods recede

Toll climbs as floods recede

A man stands in floodwater in front of his house while trying to build a makeshift bridge last week in Kandal province’s Mok Kampoul district
A man stands in floodwater in front of his house while trying to build a makeshift bridge last week in Kandal province’s Mok Kampoul district. Heng Chivoan

Toll climbs as floods recede

The death toll from recent floods has climbed to 20 while rivers engorged with floodwater have completely swept away 10 houses, according to the National Committee for Disaster Management.

In Prey Veng, the body of a police officer who slipped into a river while helping people build a dam was recovered on Friday after the man was missing for two days.

Long Buntheoun, police chief in Prey Veng province’s Sithor Kandal district, said Morng Mun’s body was found floating at 6am. Mun’s family is currently preparing his funeral.

Nhim Vanda, senior minister and vice president of the NCDM, said deaths have been recorded in six provinces.

Vanda said he had inspected Prey Veng, located on the east bank of the Mekong River, and concluded that the water may recede in a few days.

“The water continued receding in some places [in the upper Mekong] causing it to flow to Prey Veng and Kandal, but the situation overall is not too serious and it will recede in a few days,” he said.

Vanda said that as of yesterday, 63 districts in 12 provinces have been affected by the floods, with 38,000 houses suffering some sort of damage and 10 completely destroyed.

The provincial governor of neighbouring Kampong Cham, Lun Lemthai, said the water had receded in parts of the province, but progress remained spotty.

In Kang Meas district, for example, water overflowed structures built to protect the riverbank on Saturday, causing a house to fall into the river. Thirty-six houses were dismantled and moved away in Boeungsa Khangkert village.

“People, officials, monks and myself made major efforts in building a dam and dikes to fight back the rising waters, but unfortunately the structures all collapsed into the river, causing people to panic,” Lemthai said. “But our forces helped bring everyone out of that dangerous place and no one died.”

According to Lemthai, as of yesterday, eight people had died in Kampong Cham because of the floods, and over 4,000 families had been evacuated to 85 hills.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy