Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tonle Sap-Mekong stabilizing sought

Tonle Sap-Mekong stabilizing sought

Tonle Sap-Mekong stabilizing sought

The Mekong River Commission and the Cambodia National Mekong Committee

are planning to undertake work on the junction of the Tonle Sap, Mekong and and Tonle

Bassac beside Phnom Penh.

The "Chaktomuk junction" as it is known has been moving downstream at a

rate of 10 meters a year.

The MRC said this natural phenomenon, in conjunction with expansion of the city south

of the Cambodiana hotel, had led to heavy erosion of the populated banks of Koh Norea,

and a reduction in the number of sea going ships prepared to travel up river to Phnom

Penh.

There is also again a deep scour hole in the Tonle Bassac which is once again threatening

to undermine the foundations of the Monivong (Vietnamese) bridge. This happened in

1964 causing the bridge to collapse.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa