Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tons of smuggled rice seized at border

Tons of smuggled rice seized at border

Tons of smuggled rice seized at border

O

fficials along the Thai border say they have confiscated 4,000 tons of unmilled rice from truck convoys heading to Thailand ahead of the expiry of a two-month ban on exports of the staple food at the end of May.

“We have to stop them and confiscate the rice because they have no permission from government,” said Doung Sarom, deputy police chief in Battambang province’s Kamrieng district.

Officials reported several cases of people trying to sneak rice over the border in Banteay Meanchey and Battambang provinces since the government imposed a ban on exports in late March in a bid to keep prices down by ensuring there were plentiful supplies on local markets.

Most smugglers tried to slip through at unofficial border-crossings, officials said, with some adding that the bulk of rice heading to Thailand continued to make it abroad.

“Some rice has been exported illegally and we have managed to stop some at the border,” Battambang Governor Prach Chan said.

“We can’t stop them completely because they transport it secretly,” he added.

Kong Bai, the deputy governor of Phnom Proek district in Battambang province, said on May 14 that a 15-ton haul of rice had been stopped at an illegal border-crossing in Kamrieng district and the smugglers sent back with a warning.

“We gave back the rice but we warned them to stop [smuggling] unless they have permission from Prime Minister Hun Sen,” Bai said.

Chan said people caught trying to export rice during the ban were made to sign an agreement saying they would not do it again.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a