Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Top generals unaware of incidents

Top generals unaware of incidents

Top generals unaware of incidents

S ENIOR officials in the Ministry of Defense have denied any knowledge of the conscription abuses being investigated by human rights organizations but they said if the reports were true the practices were against the Royal Govern-ment's military policies.

When asked about the alleged incidents in the northwestern provinces Chief of the General Staff General Ke Kimyan said:"We have not heard any reports and do not know anything about this."

He added: "The government wants to reduce the number of men in the army, because we do not need any more soldiers."

General Hing Lang, first deputy at the ministry's department of international relations also denied hearing any news about conscription.

Asked about official military policy, he said: "Our policy is to demobilize soldiers. Already our army is too big, we have more than 130,000 soldiers and cannot pay them good salaries.

"If some soldiers are doing this, we request people to complain directly to the ministry in Phnom Penh.

"We would like to investigate and send such soldiers to the military court."

He also denied that there was any official rule about conscription only during the fighting in the dry season.

"There is no rule, no policy on mobilizing more soldiers. If this is happening it is not legal," he said.

General Hing Lang explained that during the SOC period, there was a policy of 'voluntary conscription' of males between 18 and 25 years of age.

But he said men who had not completed school, and were the sole breadwinners for their families could not be recruited according to the policy.

"After signing the Paris agreement we were under obligation to demobilize soldiers so we have no conscription since then," he said.

Despite repeated attempts by the Post to contact them, Co-Ministers of Defense Tea Banh and Tea Chamrath and Secretary of State Ek Sereyvuth were all unavailable for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Proof giants walked among us humans?

    For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal,

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group