Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tourist spots step up Covid-19 precautions



Tourist spots step up Covid-19 precautions

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
People sit at the back of a van as they travel home last year. Hong Menea

Tourist spots step up Covid-19 precautions

Tourist centres such as coastal areas, Siem Reap, and the northeastern provinces have prepared Covid-19 prevention measures in anticipation of the upcoming holidays.

The deputy governor of Siem Reap province Tea Seiha said on Wednesday that several precautions will be in place based on Ministry of Health directives.

“We will put gaps in public places and we will clean and encourage people to bring masks and Krama.

“For restaurants and hotels, we will check if each room is clean. For restaurants, each table must be kept a certain distance from others. Establishments must cordon off outside space for people walking by to avoid large gatherings,” Seiha said, giving examples.

Kampot provincial governor Chiao Tai said on Wednesday that his province has focused on main tourist destinations and mandated mask, hand washing and social distancing.

“Important places like hotels and restaurants must prepare alcohol, masks and other prevention materials. There are also prevention measures at border checkpoints to prevent transmission,” he said.

Koh Kong provincial governor Mithona Phouthong said she advised local authorities to be cautious and follow the advice of the Ministry of Health.

“We advised owners of hotels and restaurants to enhance prevention measures and we will employ our forces to remind tourists,” she said.

Mondulkiri provincial administration spokesman Heak Sophan said his province has already advised hotel and restaurant owners to have thermometers to measure temperatures.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants