Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Trafficked fishermen appeal case dismissal




Trafficked fishermen appeal case dismissal

Migrant workers repair a net on a Thai fishing boat in Thailand’s Rayong province. Cambodian plaintiffs last week appealed a Thai court’s decision dismissing all charges against two suspects they accuse of trafficking them into the fishing industry. Nicolas Asfouri/AFP
Migrant workers repair a net on a Thai fishing boat in Thailand’s Rayong province. Cambodian plaintiffs last week appealed a Thai court’s decision dismissing all charges against two suspects they accuse of trafficking them into the fishing industry. Nicolas Asfouri/AFP

Trafficked fishermen appeal case dismissal

Cambodian plaintiffs in a Thai human trafficking case have appealed a provincial court’s judgment dismissing charges against two suspects.

The 11 Cambodian plaintiffs were rescued last year after allegedly having spent months working up to 22 hours a day on a Thai fishing boat.

Ranong Provincial Court threw the case out in March against skipper Ruengchai Pewngam and fishing dock owner Somchai Jettanapornsamran, arguing that the victims were aware that they were going to work on a fishing boat, and that they could have resisted their captors.

Nishkhan Usayapant, case manager of Human Rights and Development Foundation’s Anti-Trafficking Project, said the plaintiffs filed an appeal on Thursday.

“The plaintiffs realised that they were deceived into working on a boat only when they were already on the boat, being told they were being transported to the fish processing factory,” she said. “They had no choice but to stay and work on the boat involuntarily.”

Moreover, the appeal argues they were allowed to leave the boat only when someone replaced them and that their documents were seized when returning to shore.

So Vandy, deputy chief of the National Police’s Anti-Human Trafficking Department, said that the Thai government was seeking extradition of Cambodian broker Em Samnang, who allegedly trafficked the workers.

“Cambodia has the arrest warrant. We [will] try to find him,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that