Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Trafficker gets 5 years for role in sex slavery



Trafficker gets 5 years for role in sex slavery

Trafficker gets 5 years for role in sex slavery

A human trafficker was sentenced to five years in prison yesterday for recruiting and delivering three young women from Cambodia to Malaysia to serve as prostitutes after promising them well-paid work in that country’s garment industry last year.

Judge Keo Mony of Phnom Penh Municipal Court said that Sok Panha, also known as Voung, 36, was convicted of “selling, buying or exchanging a person with purpose” under the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation.

Panha rejected the charges after hearing the verdict yesterday.

“I cannot accept it. I will appeal to court soon,” she said.

According to Colonel So Mandy, chief of the capital’s anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection unit, police arrested Panha on August 20 after receiving complaints from the three victims following their escape from a Malaysian brothel.

“She was arrested by our police after one of the rescued victims gave her a phone call, setting up a meeting at Sre Leap guesthouse [in Phnom Penh],” he said.

In Malaysia, two Chinese-Malaysian men are now awaiting trial after being arrested by local authorities for their involvement in the case.

Several victimised women currently remain under the protection of the Cambodian embassy in Malaysia in order to appear as witnesses at the men’s trial.

One 22-year-old victim, now back in Cambodia and studying at university, said she had known Panha for two months before she was introduced by her to a Chinese-Malaysian man named Mai, and was sent to work in Malaysia’s garment industry along with two other women, aged 23 and 27, in May.

“I decided to accept to go to Malaysia because I was promised a salary of $700 to $800 per month,” she said.

“But when we arrived in Malaysia, we were forced to sleep with foreign men in a hotel there. The pay was taken by Mai.”

By the end of the month, the young women managed to escape and flee to the Cambodian embassy in Kuala Lumpur for help and intervention.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting