Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Trafficking convict appeals sentence



Trafficking convict appeals sentence

Lin Yu-shin, general manager of Giant Ocean International, covers her face as she leaves Phnom Penh Municipal Court in 2014.
Lin Yu-shin, general manager of Giant Ocean International, covers her face as she leaves Phnom Penh Municipal Court in 2014.

Trafficking convict appeals sentence

A Taiwanese woman convicted of trafficking hundreds of Cambodians into slave-like conditions on fishing boats yesterday appealed her 10-year sentence at the Supreme Court, while her victims pressed for more compensation money.

Lin Yu-shin, the 52-year-old former manager of the now-defunct Giant Ocean International recruitment firm, was found guilty in 2014 along with five accomplices, who have remained at large as she has served her sentence in a Siem Reap prison.

One of Yu-shin’s victims, Ther Bora, 34, recounted how he applied to work in Japan for the fishing company in June 2010, but he was instead sent to Fiji.

Victims of the scam recruitment firm Giant Ocean International stand in the Supreme Court complex yesterday in Phnom Penh.
Victims of the scam recruitment firm Giant Ocean International stand in the Supreme Court complex yesterday in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied

After working for a month on the vessel, Bora requested his salary, only to be told three years’ worth of his wages had already been paid to Yu-shin.

He remained enslaved for more than 18 months, until the ship docked and he sought assistance from an embassy in Fiji.

“My brother and I were forced to fish almost 24 hours each day and we had only two or three hours to sleep,” Bora said. “I was sick, but the Chinese boss did not give me medicine.”

Another fisherman, Sun Sokha, said he had not received payment for the 23 months he worked.

“We were cheated by the company . . . so we demand the Ministry of Labour bring $100,000 to pay us,” he said, referring to money his lawyer said the company deposited with the government.

Yu-shin’s lawyer, Chhi Sambath, said his client had been unfairly punished, claiming she was not the owner of the company.

A verdict is due on July 26.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen says Kingdom not a 'satellite country'

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said Cambodia had sent diplomatic notes to various embassies demonstrating its stance and clarifying allegations that the Kingdom is a satellite country of China which will allow it exclusive access to the Ream Naval Base in Preah Sihanouk province. The response

  • Vast Prince Manor fun park opens to much fanfare in Kandal

    Chinese-owned Prince Culture and Development Co Ltd officially launched the $85 million Prince Manor entertainment centre in Kandal province on Wednesday. Prince Manor is located along National Road 1, 20km from the centre of Phnom Penh. It is the first major theme park project in Cambodia and

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial