Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Trafficking victims to remain abroad pending inquiry

Trafficking victims to remain abroad pending inquiry

Trafficking victims to remain abroad pending inquiry

SIX Cambodian women – including one minor – who were trafficked to Thailand to work as prostitutes will have to remain in the country until local authorities wind up their investigation into the case, NGO workers said yesterday.

Ly Sotheary, executive director of the Koh Kong-based Healthcare Centre for Children, said yesterday that the six women, discovered when Thai police raided a karaoke parlour earlier this month, would remain at a shelter in Trat province until the investigation was closed.

“They want to be back as soon as they can, but they have to wait until police in Thailand finish the investigation,” said Ly Sotheary, who returned on Thursday after visiting the six women at the shelter. She said the six appeared to be “in good health”.

“We urged the police there to work faster on the case so that they can be back soon,” she said.

The women, who were trafficked into Thailand under the pretext of receiving legitimate jobs and later forced into prostitution, were discovered when Thai police raided a karaoke bar in Trat on August 5.

Ly Sotheary said previously that a seventh trafficking victim escaped the karaoke parlour last month and provided information that led to the raid. Police also arrested 21 people, including the victims, other Cambodian prostitutes, customers and two brothel owners.

A 30-year-old prostitute who worked at the karaoke bar and returned to Cambodia after the raid said she felt sorry for the victims, especially the underage girl.

“I was very embarrassed when we were arrested, but I really pity the true victims,” said the woman, who declined to be named.

Thai police have charged a Thai man and a Cambodian woman with running the karaoke parlour, and have remanded them in custody pending their trial in Trat.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Koy Kuong said yesterday that he was unaware of the case.

“I asked the ambassador there, but they have not provided any information about the case yet,” he said. Bun Leut, Koh Kong provincial governor, said he, too, was unaware of the case.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,