Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Trespassing’ journalists ordered to renew press passes




‘Trespassing’ journalists ordered to renew press passes

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith on Sunday confirmed the journalists’ press passes had expired. Supplied

‘Trespassing’ journalists ordered to renew press passes

The provincial director of Kampong Speu’s Information Department on Monday ordered four journalists to renew their press passes after they allegedly extorted money from a soil excavation company and entered Tmat Porng Military School unpermitted.

Men Sinoun said she questioned the journalists on Saturday before allowing them home.

“I merely asked them to obtain proper press passes before going anywhere to seek information. I asked them to adhere to professional standards of journalism.

“They came to see the quarry and demanded money. While my husband, the deputy head of the military training school, said he did not mind them coming to ask for money – since they weren’t asking for much and because they were local journalists – I wanted to know which media outlet they worked for.

“I asked for a copy of their press cards and they had expired,” Sinoun said.

Ministry of Information spokesman Phos Sovann said on Monday that some provincial reporters did not adhere to professional codes of conduct.

“Some people pretend to be journalists to obtain money from private companies. But I urge all reporters to adhere to professional practices to avoid tarnishing the reputation of news media.

A Facebook post by Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith on Sunday confirmed the journalists’ press passes had expired.

However, they responded on Facebook that they had been informed by villagers in the Tmat Porng area of a soil excavation operation affecting the public road and the environment.

They said it was extremely dusty due to trucks carrying soil on National Road 51.

They tried to inspect the site and take pictures, they said, in the hope of obtaining a response from the company, but they did not get to meet the owner and left.

The journalists said they then encountered two soldiers on a motorbike and were forced into the military base to meet the commander.

“They threatened to handcuff us. They said they would send us to the military police if we published any stories. We were forced to delete all the images taken at the quarry,” their Facebook post read.

The head of military school asked them why they had entered the base without permission, a claim they denied.

They said he told them that the quarry belonged to the military school and that reporters, and Ministry of Mines and Energy officials, had been informed of the operation.

“The military commander asked to take pictures of our passes. After that, his subordinate told us to put thumbprints on a written contract, prohibiting us from publishing a story about the operation. After we provided the thumbprints, he allowed us to leave.

“We would like to ask the provincial Department of Information to correct the accusation that we entered the military school without permission. It was not like that,” they wrote.

Three of the journalists are reporters – Kem Sros, from the Khmer Power newspaper; Touch Sambo, who works for the National Liberation newspaper and Sreng Song, from Chuay Khmer News.

The fourth, Touch Sambath, is editor-in-chief of akktvonline.net.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,