Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Trial verdict delayed for former CNRP official denied bail



Trial verdict delayed for former CNRP official denied bail

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Chao Veasna, former Poipet commune chief, appears at the Supreme Court last year. He was tried with nine others on Monday over a 2015 protest that turned violent in the border town. Pha Lina

Trial verdict delayed for former CNRP official denied bail

Jailed former commune chief Chao Veasna was denied bail Tuesday morning by the Banteay Meanchey Provincial Court, which postponed a verdict on charges he and nine others face related to a 2015 violent protest in the border town of Poipet.

Veasna was arrested in February 2017, nearly two years after the 2015 protest in which porters threw rocks at a Poipet Customs Department office and security officials opened fire to disperse the crowds.

The former Cambodia National Rescue Party official and local unionist Mang Puthy are charged with incitement and being accomplices to destruction of property. Both contend they were only observing the protest.

Eight porters face property destruction charges.

After the trial yesterday, the court said it would announce a verdict in the case, and a bail decision for Veasna on Tuesday morning. However, the court has only denied the former commune official’s bail plea, delaying a verdict on the other charges, said Choung Choungy, Veasna’s lawyer.

“The court did not allow him to get bail. The verdict for the charges was delayed to later without giving a date,” he said. He said the bail rejection would be appealed.

Veasna was hospitalized last June for an appendix surgery. His family has consistently cited his ill health as a reason he should be released.

“He requested for bail because his had high blood pressure and was very weak, but the court rejected it,” said Veasna’s son, Chao Khemra.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting