Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Trio freed after striking deal with reporter

Trio freed after striking deal with reporter

Trio freed after striking deal with reporter

A BANTEAY Meanchey Provincial Court prosecutor has dropped charges against three people who allegedly injured a reporter while he was researching a story on illicit gambling, after the accused agreed to pay an unspecified amount of compensation and apologise publicly to the victim, court officials said Tuesday.

“We dropped the charges against the three people after reaching a mutual reconciliation between the victim and Vong Tho, a reporter for Rasmey Kampuchea newspaper in Banteay Meanchey province, and the three accused on April 1,” court prosecutor Tan Seyhak Dechak said.

“I followed the request from the plaintiff and defendants after they reached a reconciliation and asked me to lift the charges against the three suspects and free them before the Khmer New Year celebration,” he added.

On March 1, as he was researching an article about illegal gambling in Poipet commune’s Kbal Spean village, Vong Tho was confronted and allegedly beaten by Nging Trem, 49; his son, Lim Hy, 16; and his wife, 48-year-old Lim Lang.

The reporter has said that Nging Trem was operating a gambling ring in the area and wanted to prevent the story from being made public.

Vong Tho said Tuesday that he agreed to withdraw his complaints against the three suspects Thursday after they offered to pay compensation and issue a public apology in the form of a letter.

“I agreed to get the apology and compensation from the suspects after they have already served one month in pretrial detention and they were begging me,” he said. He did not divulge the amount of financial compensation granted in the settlement.

On March 2, the Club of Cambodian Journalists issued a statement decrying the attack on Vong Tho, saying violence against reporters was a serious violation of press freedom.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters