Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two badly burned in Sen Sok




Two badly burned in Sen Sok

People gather around a construction site yesterday morning Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district as fire crews try to bring a blaze under control.
People gather around a construction site yesterday morning Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district as fire crews try to bring a blaze under control. NATIONAL POLICE

Two badly burned in Sen Sok

A father and son were left seriously burned yesterday morning in a massive fire at a construction site in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district, with 11 fire engines needed to put out the blaze.

According to authorities, the fire started in Borey Piphop Thmey commune at around 5:30am and engulfed a zinc-roofed wooden structure large enough to house around 300 workers.

The victims, named as Phim Srun, 37, and his son Phim Nan, 17, were taken to Phnom Penh’s Calmette Hospital for treatment.

Borey Piphop Thmey commune police chief Keo Santhout said the victims “were burned over almost all of their bodies because they were trying to take out their possessions, which were burning”.

“The fire was caused by an electrical fault; luckily it did not spread to burn neighbouring villagers’ houses,” he added According to Santhout, the blaze destroyed five motorbikes, 10 bicycles and a tuk-tuk, as well as the possessions of many of the construction workers employed on the site.

A post on the National Police website yesterday said 11 fire engines were needed to put out the blaze, which was extinguished at around 6:45am.

The director of Phnom Penh municipal fire brigade, Prom Yorn, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Kong Sovanna, chief of the Interior Ministry’s Weapons and Explosive Management and Fire Control office, said 14 people have been killed and 16 injured in fires so far this year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Public warned of dengue risks amid rainy season

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has issued an eight-point plan to destroy mosquitoes carrying dengue fever amid the rainy season. In a four-page directive, Bun Heng warned that while the number of dengue cases has dropped sharply compared to last year, it could increase

  • Thirteen charged in UK migrant lorry tragedy

    Thirdteen suspects arrested by French police over the deaths of 39 Vietnamese migrants in a refrigerated lorry in Britain have been charged with people trafficking, a judicial source said on Saturday. Six of the group – mainly Vietnamese and French nationals – were held on Tuesday in the

  • Cambodian Blue Helmet dies of virus

    The last rites for Cambodian Blue Helmet peacekeeper Sar Savy, who died on Friday at 63 from Covid-19 while on a mission in the Republic of Mali, will be held on Wednesday and Thursday at the UN base there. Cambodia’s National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces

  • World Bank donates $15 million in aid

    The World Bank on Friday approved $15 million for a medical training system to help Cambodia equip doctors with more skills before they start work. The budget, which was granted by the International Development Association (IDA), is intended to improve health care services. The World Bank

  • Ministry signs MoU to develop ICT training

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Friday signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IT Academy STEP Cambodia (STEP) to further develop the Sisters of Code project. The project trains female students in computer programming, and enhances information and communication technology (ICT) textbooks

  • Masseuse caught planting fake bills

    Four suspects were sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Sunday for allegedly stealing money from a customer who had visited their massage parlour for a cupping session last Friday in Anlong Kgnan village, in Sen Sok district’s Khmuonh commune. District police chief Hour