Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two boys rescued from Daun Penh blaze

Two boys rescued from Daun Penh blaze

A screenshot of a video posted to Facebook showing fire fighters attempting to battle a blaze in Daun Penh this afternoon. Facebook
A screenshot of a video posted to Facebook showing fire fighters attempting to battle a blaze in Daun Penh this afternoon. Facebook

Two boys rescued from Daun Penh blaze

Two boys sustained serious burns shortly before they were rescued from a blaze that erupted in a fourth-floor home in the capital's Daun Penh district this afternoon.

The 5-year-old cousins were taking an afternoon nap and were locked into the apartment by their grandmother, who went downstairs to buy some noodles for lunch, according to their aunt Phan Srey Touch, 31.

“I got information from the people at the site – before they saw the fire, they heard both boys yelling ‘help me, help me, I’m hurt!’, but when they rushed to help, the door was locked,” she said.

A dramatic video posted to Facebook this afternoon shows several fire fighters dousing themselves in water and attempting to enter the flaming room. Unsuccessful, they then dislodged a wooden-slat window from its metal frame and lifted the boys out of the room.

See the video here:

The boys were taken to the intensive care unit at Kantha Bopha IV hospital near Wat Phnom with large burns to their backs.

Phsar Chas Commune Police Chief Nuth Chetra said the blaze was sparked by an electrical malfunction, noting the home’s single power outlet was supporting a powerboard full of devices, including three fans, a refrigerator, a television, a CD player and speakers.

He added the boys’ grandmother panicked after she was alerted to the fire and was unable to find her keys quickly, but police did not believe the fire was deliberately lit.

Another fire ravaged several homes in Toek Thla commune today, according to Sen Sok District Governor Mov Manith.

The fires follow yet another blaze on Sunday in Chak Angre Leu commune, Meanchey District, after a gas cylinder exploded, seriously injuring three people.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said