Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two cement workers crushed in Kampot job site accident



Two cement workers crushed in Kampot job site accident

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The workers were crushed at a quarry by falling rocks while drilling at an explosion site. Photo supplied

Two cement workers crushed in Kampot job site accident

Two cement workers were crushed to death by falling rocks while drilling at an explosion site on a mountain in Kampot province on Friday, local authorities said.

The tragedy occurred in La’ang commune’s La’ang village in Dang Tong district.

District deputy police chief Men Ly said the victims, 29-year-old Kun Ral and 33-year-old Nheb Sarun, were cousins from Kandorl commune’s Damnak Trach village in Teuk Chhou district. They both worked for Thai Boon Roong Cement Co Ltd.

“One of the victims’ bodies was crushed completely, while the other’s lower half was crushed. This is a work-related accident.

“Representatives of Thai Boon Roong Cement Co Ltd will be responsible for paying compensation to the relatives of the two workers of $35,000 plus four million riel for funeral arrangements,” Ly said.

Ral’s brother, Kun Saran, 34, who is a drilling worker at the factory, told The Post on Sunday that the company has claimed it will provide the compensation, but it hasn’t offered details.

“Factory representatives have said they will provide compensation for each worker to the tune of $35,000, and that the money will be paid by Monday, June 1. But they haven’t mentioned the money for the funeral yet and we have not received anything so far,” Saran said.

Building and Wood Workers Trade Union Federation of Cambodia (BWTUC) vice-president Sou Chhlonh said on Sunday that he is urging the Ministry of Labour, local authorities and relevant institutions to inspect the technical standards of the explosion site.

Chhlonh believes the accident could have been a “technical error”.

He said: “Based on information the union federation has collected, about three hours had passed after a planned detonation at the site. The explosion had not yet reached the point at which rocks start to collapse.

“It was not until about 4pm that four workers in the quarry section drilled to detonate the boulder again, and it collapsed on the two workers.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen says Kingdom not a 'satellite country'

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said Cambodia had sent diplomatic notes to various embassies demonstrating its stance and clarifying allegations that the Kingdom is a satellite country of China which will allow it exclusive access to the Ream Naval Base in Preah Sihanouk province. The response

  • Vast Prince Manor fun park opens to much fanfare in Kandal

    Chinese-owned Prince Culture and Development Co Ltd officially launched the $85 million Prince Manor entertainment centre in Kandal province on Wednesday. Prince Manor is located along National Road 1, 20km from the centre of Phnom Penh. It is the first major theme park project in Cambodia and

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Cintri strike ends, workers’ contracts to be terminated

    CINTRI (Cambodia) Ltd rubbish collectors who have been on strike for the past 13 days agreed to return to work starting Wednesday evening after the company agreed to terminate their contracts at the end of January next year and provide seniority payments and other benefits to