Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two chiefs still head border relations

Two chiefs still head border relations

Two chiefs still head border relations

TWO military officials appointed earlier this year to the same position within a Banteay Meanchey province border relations office remain on the job but in different locations, officials said Wednesday.

Pol Sinoun, nephew of RCAF Commander in Chief Pol Saroeun, was appointed head of the Thailand-Cambodia Relations Office in June. Three months later, the Ministry of Defence announced that Prime Minister Hun Sen’s nephew, Dy Phen, would head the office.

Tale of two offices
Rather than clarify who officially heads the office, the government has allowed both men to continue to hold the post but operate out of different offices and report to different superiors.

“Another office was opened about a kilometre away from the old office we are working in,” said Tim Sareth, deputy chief of the Thailand-Cambodia Relations Office, who added that Pol Sinoun continues to operate out of the original office in Poipet commune.

Pol Sinoun said Wednesday that despite the overlap of offices, he continues to report to the RCAF High Command, whereas Dy Phen reports to the Ministry of Defence.

“There is no problem because we report to different places,” Pol Sinoun said.

An official who refused to be named said Wednesday that Thai officials consult only with Pol Sinoun because they have worked together for many years and have not been given instructions to consult with Dy Phen.

Dy Phen could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will