Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two dead from UXO blasts

Two dead from UXO blasts

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Unexploded ordnance is displayed on a table during a press conference on demining in Phnom Penh in 2012. Vireak Mai

Two dead from UXO blasts

Two men have been killed and another seriously injured in two separate incidents involving unexploded ordnance (UXO) in Banteay Meanchey and Preah Vihear this week.

According to Heng Ratana, the director-general of Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC), a farmer in Oddar Meanchey province’s Preah Net Preah district died and another was wounded after they accidentally set off a mortar bomb on Monday.

Deu Chereuk, Preah Net Preah deputy police chief, said Choeun Samon, 32, was killed in the explosion after he used a mortar bomb, which he thought was an ordinary piece of steel, to pound his tractor engine while attempting to fix it. Vat Samet, 47, who was helping Samon, was also injured in the explosion and received treatment at a local health centre.

“We found the shells of a 60mm mortar bomb at the place where the accident happened,” Chereuk said. “We had instructed the people in the areas about UXO before, but the accident happened because the victims did not know that it was a bomb.”

According to Ratana, one day after the explosion in Oddar Meanchey, another farmer was killed after the tractor he was driving drove over a landmine in his rice field in Preah Vihear province’s Rong Roeung II village. Ratana was not informed of the victim’s name.

Ly Thouch, secretary-general of Cambodian Mine Action Authority, has said Cambodia has seen 64,705 casualties caused by UXO and landmines over the past 20 years, with landmines placed across around 2,111 square kilometres of land in the Kingdom during the civil war with the Khmer Rouge.

Over the same period, he added, CMAC had cleared about 1,670 square kilometres of landmine-covered land.

“These are the legacy of war,” Ratana said. “We will need much more time to clear the landmines and UXO from our land to make it safe for our people to farm.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Prime Minister Hun Sen warmly welcomed by president Biden

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, as ASEAN chair, and other ASEAN leaders were warmly welcomed by US president Joe Biden as the ASEAN-US summit May 12-13 kicked off today in Washington. “This evening, I welcomed ASEAN leaders to the White House for the first time in

  • Prime Minister Hun Sen invites US president to attend summit in Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen personally invited US President Joe Biden to attend the ASEAN-US Summit which is set to be held in Cambodia in November, as ASEAN and the US are expected to upgrade their strategic partnership to a ‘comprehensive strategic partnership’, according to Prime

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub