Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two die at bottom of Siem Reap well



Two die at bottom of Siem Reap well

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Two workers died from suffocation while restoring a well in Ov Lork village in Siem Reap. Police

Two die at bottom of Siem Reap well

Two men suffocated at the bottom of a well they were repairing on Saturday morning in Ov Lork village, Bakong Commune, Prasat Bakong district, Siem Reap province, according to local authorities.

Commune police chief Vai Savoeun identified the victims as 39-year-old Chhut Sean, a resident of Ov Lork village, and Yoeum Rath, a 47-year-old resident of Stung village.

The owner of the well and Sean’s sister-in-law, Thith Suon, hired a three-person team to restore the well, according to Savoeun. The third member of the crew was Som Rong.

Savoeun quoted Suon as saying: “After I agreed to let them restore the well for 100,000 riel, they said they would start work on Saturday morning. They asked for 30,000 riel in advance to buy alcohol.

On Saturday morning, the three of them opened the cover of the well, prepared wire and entered the well to restore it. Two of them died in the well, including my brother-in-law.”

According to Savoeun, Rong helped retrieve the victims’ bodies, and on Sunday, he recounted the incident to The Post.

“At first, Rath went down the well to dig out sediment, which caused a water blockage for about 10 minutes.

We could not hear him shouting from the bottom of the well, and Sean went down to check on him.

After that, I heard Sean shout for help. Rath was unconscious and immediately I shouted to the owner of the well to call for help from villagers.

I called Sean to come up but I didn’t hear his reply. When the villagers arrived, we put a pipe into the well to allow air to travel to the bottom. When I went down to help them, they had already died,” Rong said.

District police chief Lim Sambath, who led forensic officials to inspect the bodies of the victims, confirmed that the victims’ deaths were due to a lack of oxygen at the bottom of the well.

Sambath instructed villagers to stop digging deep wells that haven’t been used for years, especially during the summer.

“Old wells that have been out of use for years are usually devoid of enough oxygen, and they can be life-threatening,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants