Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two held over July shooting in Preah Sihanouk



Two held over July shooting in Preah Sihanouk

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Two suspects are shown after being arrested in connection to a shooting in Preah Sihanouk province in July. National police

Two held over July shooting in Preah Sihanouk

Police said on Sunday that two Chinese nationals were put in pre-trial detention in Preah Sihanouk province on charges of attempted murder.

The province’s deputy police chief Kol Phally told The Post that on July 18, there was a shootout at a drinking establishment in commune 3. At least four victims were injured, and the gunmen fled the scene.

However, Phally said the suspects Ren Hai Jun, 46, and Wu Hai Zhu, 30, had recently been arrested in connection to the attack.

“After the 50-day investigation, on September 7, authorities arrested the two shooters and found the two guns [used in the shooting]. They have been detained in prison temporarily by the Preah Sihanouk provincial court under charges of attempted murder and illegal use of a weapon,” he said.

Despite calls that a recent influx of Chinese workers has caused crime in the province to rise, authorities in the coastal area insist that the province is as safe as ever.

Preah Sihanouk provincial police chief Choun Narin said that the security situation has, in fact, improved since a string of cases earlier this year. He said there are some problem areas in the province, nonetheless.

“We will keep investigating this case because they used weapons. They claim they purchased the weapons from an unknown man for $800,” Narin said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.