Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two held for smuggling China bride



Two held for smuggling China bride

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Thuok Thet (left) and Vok Chhai Ngim are in pre-trial detention after they were arrested for their involvement in sending a Cambodian woman to China for marriage in 2017. Photo supplied

Two held for smuggling China bride

The Tbong Khmum provincial court on Friday placed two women in pre-trial detention after they were arrested for their involvement in sending a Cambodian woman to China for marriage in 2017.

Provincial court spokesman Theng Cheang identified the duo as 61-year-old Vok Chhai Ngim, also known as Mao, and her 38-year-old daughter Thuok Thet, both from Anlong Pong village in Tbong Khmum district’s Tonle Bet commune.

“The two women were charged with Unlawful Removal with Purpose under Article 10 of the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation. They face up to 15 years in prison if found guilty,” he said.

Hai Lalin, provincial deputy police chief in charge of human trafficking, said the arrests were made after the unidentified victim filed a complaint to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, which then referred her to provincial police.

“Police launched an investigation and detained the suspects after receiving the complaint,” he said.

Sok Chhun Lay, provincial anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection bureau deputy head, said the duo confessed during questioning that they arranged the marriage and paperwork in exchange for commission from another woman identified only as Chheng, who they alleged was the mastermind.

“Thuok Thet received $300 from Chheng for sending the victim to China, but Vok Chhai Ngim did not receive any commission from Chheng,” he said.

The 23-year-old victim told police the suspects approached her about going to China for marriage in 2017.

After landing in China, she said she was held against her will in a house for four months before being sold and transferred to four other places. She managed to flee to Thailand early last year.

Chhun Lay said the victim was eventually rescued by an NGO in Thailand and the Cambodian Embassy. She returned to Cambodia in November last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could