The driver of the vehicle that fatally struck a man and a woman along Hun Sen Boulevard, also known as Street 60m, in the capital’s Meanchey district on Friday was sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court the following day, police said.
Phnom Penh deputy traffic office chief Uong Maly on Sunday said the suspect was a 36-year-old man. “We’ve already sent him to court but I am unaware of whether he has been charged,” he said.
The suspect was said to be driving a borrowed car which was owned by his nephew, Chheng Kimly.
Witnesses said the incident took place at 10am on Friday in front of a construction site along Hun Sen Boulevard in Meanchey district’s Chak Angre Leu commune.
Prior to the incident, the victims – a male rider and his female passenger – were seen speeding on a white Honda PCX scooter. The rider was said to have ridden on the opposite lane as he overtook other vehicles.
An oncoming white Toyota Camry Hybrid collided head-on with the scooter, running over and instantly killing the rider and his pillion.
The driver fled the scene shortly after the accident.
However, the car was identified by traffic police via CCTV footage which led to the arrest of his nephew and car owner, Kimly, at 1pm the same day.
Kimly helped the authorities catch the suspect on Saturday by leading them to Sa’ang district in Kandal province where the suspect was staying.
Traffic accidents within the first 10 months of last year were at 3,749 cases – a 40 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2018.
Of these, 1,796 people were killed and 3,590 others injured – a 21 per cent and 42 per cent-increase respectively compared to the same period in 2018.
Phnom Penh Municipal Court spokesperson Kuch Kimlong could not be reached for comment on Sunday.