Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two massage parlours raided for prostitution

Two massage parlours raided for prostitution

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
One of the massage parlours allegedly offering sexual services. Supplied

Two massage parlours raided for prostitution

PHNOM Penh immigration police are questioning 10 Chinese women and two male compatriots over their involvement in running two massage parlours that offered sexual services. The 12 were detained by district police on Tuesday.

Por Sen Chey police made the arrests after raids on two businesses in the district’s Chaom Chao commune, while the parlour’s owner, a Chinese woman, escaped.

Sar Samnang, deputy municipal police chief in charge of immigration, said on Wednesday that the suspects were being questioned by his team before being sent to court.

“The suspects are still being questioned so I cannot say when they will be sent to court. We need to wait until the interrogations are complete and we receive an order from senior authorities,” he said.

Por Sen Chey district governor Hem Darith told The Post on Wednesday that the district police and local authorities had investigated the parlours for months before carrying out Tuesday’s raids.

“The businesses had signs advertising massages, but they secretly offered sexual services,” Darith said.

Authorities cracked down on the two parlours in Chaom Chao III commune’s Prey Tea village and 10 women who allegedly offered sexual services and two Chinese men described as supervisors were arrested.

Condoms were also found, he said.

Darith said the parlours, owned by a 50-year-old Chinese woman who had fled, had been operating without a licence.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges