Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two men sent to court for excavator accident

Two men sent to court for excavator accident

Two men sent to court for excavator accident

The Banteay Meanchey provincial Military Police on Wednesday sent a businessman and his driver to court for running a mountain excavation operation in Preah Neth Preah district without a valid licence.

Deputy district police chief Sin Rasy told The Post on Wednesday that Soeum Sambo and his excavator driver Sem Rithy, both 33, were arrested on Tuesday when authorities inspected the site in Phnom Leap commune’s Troyorng village.

They had earlier received a report that one of Sambo’s excavators fell off the mountain, killing another driver identified as Khlinh Sy, 27.

“After inspection and questioning, authorities found that the owner does not have a valid licence for mountain excavation,” he said.

Provincial Military Police commander Baon Ben said on Wednesday that Sambo and his excavator driver were sent to court on a charge of “destruction of natural resources”.

Reached by phone before his trial began, Sambo claimed he had a valid excavation licence issued by provincial authorities. However, he acknowledged that his workers had overstepped the boundary of Leap mountain, where the excavation operation took place.

“I confessed that my workers’ operation was beyond what is allowed by the licence,” he said.

Local villagers and authorities said mountain excavation in the area had been going on for a long time and is being done by various companies.

Phnom Leap commune chief Em Nuy said another company, Ean Chea, stopped its operations after the tragic accident, apparently foreseeing the authorities’ inspection.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia resumes issuance of tourist visas

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has announced the resumption of its tourist visa and visa exemption programme after a long hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In a letter dated October 20 and addressed to foreign embassies and consulates, foreign minister Prak Sokhonn

  • Cambodia voted ‘world’s friendliest country’ in Rough Guides reader poll

    Cambodia ranked number one among the “World’s Friendliest Countries”, according to a reader poll conducted by London-based international website “Rough Guides”. Taking submissions through Twitter and Facebook, “Rough Guides”, a well-known travel agency and publisher of guidebooks, said the Kingdom “was by far the