Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two more foreigners arrested in Siem Reap 'pornograpy' case released on bail, leave Cambodia



Two more foreigners arrested in Siem Reap 'pornograpy' case released on bail, leave Cambodia

A photo posted by the National Police of the 10 foreigners detained for "producing pornographic photographs" in Siem Reap. National Police
A photo posted by the National Police last month of the 10 foreigners detained for "producing pornographic photographs" in Siem Reap. National Police

Two more foreigners arrested in Siem Reap 'pornograpy' case released on bail, leave Cambodia

Only one foreigner remains in jail in Siem Reap for allegedly producing “pornographic” content after the release of two more suspects earlier this week.

Lawyer Ouch Sopheaktra said the two received bail approval on Monday after submitting a request last Thursday. They were released in the evening on condition that they leave the country.

“The two are Norwegian and Dutch and flew home on Tuesday,” Sopheaktra said.

The pair were detained along with nearly 80 other foreigners at a party in Siem Reap at the end of January. All but 10 were released that day, with the suspects held on charges of “producing pornography”. Seven of them were released on bail and flew home last week.

Sopheaktra said the court had not decided whether or not to proceed with a hearing – despite those released having been required to immediately leave the country. The last suspect, a British man, remains in prison, he said. “We don’t request bail for this man because in the reports he was the one who organised the party, so if we file a request they won’t let him out.”

Read more: Charges against foreigners over ‘pornography’ are latest blow to Siem Reap businesses

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • Capital set to beef up security

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng held the first meeting of the year with heads of armed forces in the capital to review and repair the deficiencies related to gun control, drug crimes, social order disruptions due to alcohol consumption and traffic law enforcement. Municipal