Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary officials questioned about illegal land clearing



Two Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary officials questioned about illegal land clearing

Chea Hean, director of the Natural Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organization, poses for a photograph during an inspection for illegal timber transportation last month in Kampong Speu province. Two officials of the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary in Kampong Speu were questioned in court on Wednesday on illegal forest clearing charges. Supplied
Chea Hean, director of the Natural Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organization, poses for a photograph during an inspection for illegal timber transportation last month in Kampong Speu province. Two officials of the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary in Kampong Speu were questioned in court on Wednesday on illegal forest clearing charges. Supplied

Two Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary officials questioned about illegal land clearing

The director of Kampong Speu’s Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary and his predecessor were questioned in court on Wednesday over illegal forestland clearing charges in a case dating back to 2013.

Khorn Sokhun, the sanctuary’s director, and former director Chhun Chhie Heng, who is now an office chief at the Kampong Speu Environment Department, have been charged with “malicious denunciation and forestland clearing and grabbing [land] for private ownership”.

Chea Hean, director of the Natural Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organization, who filed a lawsuit against 241 officials – including Sokhun and Chhie Heng – in 2013, said both men were questioned by Investigating Judge Toung Putheara, “who is taking legal action on my lawsuit”.

Hean, who wasn’t allowed to be present during the questioning, said he met with the judge after the court proceedings.

He said the judge also plans to summons others for questioning, and that a trial could start in the next three months. Putheara declined to comment.

Khlot Pich, the lawyer representing the pair, confirmed the duo appeared in court Wednesday. “It is the procedure of the court,” he said. “I do not know whether the accusations are true or not.”

The charges against Sokhun and Chhie Heng stem from Hean’s lawsuit, which he filed after he said he was falsely accused in 2010 of having cleared 100 hectares of forestland inside the sanctuary. In fact, he maintains the land was cleared by Sokhun and Chhie Heng.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and