Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tycoon’s sons to get day in court

Tycoon’s sons to get day in court

Tycoon’s sons to get day in court

6 son of tycoon Duong Ngiep
Duong Kimlong (centre) enters the Phnom Penh Municipal Court last month. Photograph: Hong Menea/Phnom Penh Post

Duong Kimlong (centre) enters the Phnom Penh Municipal Court last month. Photograph: Hong Menea/Phnom Penh Post

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has completed its investigation into the sons of property tycoon Oknha Duong Ngiep, with hearings due to be set for this month, a court official said yesterday.

According to court documents obtained by the Post, Duong Otdom Chhorvi, also known as Duong Chhay, 20, his younger brother Duong Kimlong, 17, and Kimlong’s bodyguard Ly Rayuth, 20, were charged with causing injury, possessing illegal weapons and destroying private property.

The trio were involved in a Khmer New Year brawl on April 14 at a restaurant in Phnom Penh’s Chamkarmon district, where Kimlong allegedly pistol-whipped a 28-year-old and threatened to shoot others. Investigating judge Te Sam Ang said he closed the investigation into the case of Duong Chhay and Duong Kimlong on May 6, with the case now submitted for pre-trial hearings.

Nach Try, a defence lawyer for the brothers, said he had been informed about the closure of the case.

“I have been informed that the investigation on my client’s case was completely done and closed. But until now, the court has not set the date of their trial,” he said.

Try added that he would not comment on the case before the court hearings.

However, a court officer who asked not to be named told the Post yesterday that that the hearings will take place before the end of the month.

The victim, Mom Dina, and his defence lawyer could not be contacted for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not