Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tycoon’s showdown with ‘wife’ hits Supreme Court



Tycoon’s showdown with ‘wife’ hits Supreme Court

Lay Huong leaves the Phnom Penh Municipal Court after a hearing earlier this year.
Lay Huong leaves the Phnom Penh Municipal Court after a hearing earlier this year. Pha Lina

Tycoon’s showdown with ‘wife’ hits Supreme Court

A lawyer for Lay Huong, the former common-law wife of tycoon Khaou Phallaboth, yesterday urged the Supreme Court to uphold decisions made by both the Phnom Penh Municipal Court and the Appeal Court and dismiss a “breach of trust” complaint lodged against her by her ex-partner.

Phallaboth accuses Huong of unlawfully acquiring land in Mondulkiri via the company Khaou Chuly Development, a firm once co-owned by the pair, the court heard.

Further, he alleged that Huong, 59, used the company’s equipment – including bulldozers, gasoline and rubber saplings – to clear and develop the land for her own private gain.

Two former employees of Khaou Chuly Development – Heng Sok, 51, and Lay Chhay, 44 – are being tried as accomplices.

The case was dismissed by both lower courts. Unhappy with the verdict, Phallaboth, via his lawyer Nheb Sokhoeum, pursued the matter to the Supreme Court. In a submission to the hearing, Sokhoeum, who was yesterday absent, called the previous decisions to drop the case “unfair”.

Meanwhile, lawyer for the accused Chea Chanravy asked the judges to drop the complaint, a position backed by deputy prosecutor Ouk Kimseth, who said Huong was within her rights to buy the land and use the machinery.

Huong and Phallaboth – convicted earlier this year for orchestrating the attempted rape and murder of the wife and daughter of Transportation Minister Sun Chanthol – have been engaged in a long-running legal battle following a messy split in 2013.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese