Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UN Marks First Year in Cambodia



UN Marks First Year in Cambodia

UN Marks First Year in Cambodia

Yasushi Akashi, head of the United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC),

acknowledged recently that the peace-keeping mission has strug-gled to achieve many

of its goals during its first year of operation.

"Our successes, though solid, are less clear-cut and are beset by continuing

difficulties," Akashi said during a speech marking the first anniversary of

UNTAC's deployment of more than 21,000 military, police and civilian staff on Mar.

15 last year.

Under Phase II of the Paris Peace Agreement, UNTAC was assigned to canton and demobilize

70 percent of the troops.

However, the Khmer Rouge, citing the alleged presence of Vietnamese soldiers in Cambodia

has refused to abide by the Paris agreement. It has also demanded more power be given

to the Supreme National Council (SNC) as a condition for its cooperation in the peace

plan.

"As a direct consequence of this the other three Cambodian factions, especially

the State of Cambodia (SOC) party, have also been less than consistent in their adherence

to the Paris Agreement," Akashi said.

He also conceded that a neutral political environment has not yet been created for

organizing a free and fair election.

Five ministries controlled by the State of Cambodia, which UNTAC was supposed to

supervise during the transitional period remain inaccessible.

Despite the problems in implementing the plan the U.N. has repatriated nearly 370,000

refugees from Thai border-camps and registered voters for the May elections.

In the face of such difficulties, Akashi called on the peacekeepers to redouble their

efforts to make sure the mission, the U.N.'s largest ever, succeeds.

"All our efforts and energies now must be devoted to establishing acceptable

conditions for free and fair elections that will be the best Cambodia has ever seen...I

know we will succeed."

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman