Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Underage girls among brides back from China



Underage girls among brides back from China

Underage girls among brides back from China

Three Khmer women, two of them underage, were repatriated home late last week after becoming brides to Chinese men, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced yesterday.

Two 15-year-old girls from Prey Veng and Kampong Cham provinces, as well as a 20-year-old from Banteay Meanchey, returned to Cambodia on August 26 after assistance from the consulate in Shanghai.

Both the underage girls were trafficked via brokers through Vietnam into China, and fled because their husbands restricted their freedom and did not let them leave the house.

The mother of the 15-year-old from Prey Veng said in an interview yesterday that she was relieved her daughter, who had been in China since May, had returned.

“She said it was difficult to live there. I wanted her to come back because she is so young,” she said.

Winrock International's Sara Piazzano, head of USAID's Counter Trafficking in Persons Program, said the case was referred to the project by local authorities after the parents reached out for help.

“It is the first time we come across a case of underage girls from China,” she said. “The route from Vietnam is not new, and it started since the monitoring at Cambodian airports has increased.”

She said the discovery that young girls had been trafficked was “worrying”, but it was promising to see both governments working together to fight the crime.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In