Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - United States donates $1.6 million to CMAC



United States donates $1.6 million to CMAC

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
CMAC officials work to neutralise a US-made bomb in Svay Rieng province earlier last year. Photo supplied

United States donates $1.6 million to CMAC

The United States has granted a Cambodian demining organisation a $1.6 million grant, despite a suspension of aid last year following a war of words between the countries over what the former claimed was democratic backsliding in the Kingdom.

A statement released on Wednesday by the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC)said it will receive the funds from the US State Departmentto support demining and bomb-clearance operations in the eastern regions.

The US donation will support CMAC’s operations in Kampong Cham, Kratie, Tbong Khmum, Prey Veng, Svay Rieng and Stung Treng provinces.

It was unclear, as of press time, whether the US has decided to lift its suspension of aid to the Kingdom or whether the grant is a one-off.

CMAC Director-General Heng Ratana could not be reached for comment on Thursday, while US Embassy staff also declined comment on the matter when contacted the same day.

CMAC said it would use the funding to expand and deploy research and clearance in the east, and plan further operations to clear remaining explosives in the form of mines and unexploded ordnance.

Last year the US suspended aid to Cambodia following an alleged crackdown on independent media and international organisations, the arrest of Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) President Kem Sokha and the court-mandated dissolution of the CNRP.

The aid suspension was seen as a partial sanction on Prime Minister Hun Sen’s government, accusing the ruling Cambodian People’s Party of violating human rights and restricting freedom of expression.

Political analyst Meas Nee said the US grant signals that Washington did not want to completely cut ties with Cambodia and that the humanitarian aid should not be seen as a warming of relations between the countries.

“It seems the US has left the door open in order to not completely cut ties with Cambodia. If the US cut aid completely, it will push the Kingdom closer to China. When we depend more on China, democracy will truly be in danger,” Nee said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could