Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US caucus seeks end to Licadho trial

US caucus seeks end to Licadho trial

US caucus seeks end to Licadho trial

THE Congressional Human Rights Caucus of the United States has sent a letter to Hun

Sen requesting that the pending trial of the two Licadho human rights workers be

dropped due to lack of evidence.

The letter, dated June 16 and signed by Tom Lantos and John Edward Porter, both members

of congress, comes just days before the two workers, Kim Sen and Meas Minear are

due to stand trail for their alleged role in the Sihanoukville toxic waste riots

last December.

The Caucus, a bipartisan working group on human rights comprising over 180 members

of the US House of Representatives, said in their letter:

"We urge you to take immediate action to dismiss all charges against these staffers

of ... Licadho. We understand that they are due to go on trial ... charged with incitement

- despite the total lack of evidence that any crime was committed."

Human rights groups have widely criticized the court for various procedural errors

that were made during the arrest of the men, and Jan 20, the Cambodian Court of Appeal

ruled that their arrests were unlawful, having been carried out without an arrest

warrant or sufficient evidence.

Rights groups have maintained all along that the two workers were informing demonstrators

of their rights, and were not, as accused, inciting demonstrations.

"These actions were clearly within their mandate and did not violate any law"

states the letter.

"Ending all attempts to prosecute them would clearly signal your government's

intention to uphold its commitments to respect basic human rights."

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on