Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US man sent to court for more investigation into child sex claims

US man sent to court for more investigation into child sex claims

US man sent to court for more investigation into child sex claims

AN American national was sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Tuesday following his arrest on suspicions he sexually abused five underage girls, officials told the Post on Tuesday.

Keo Thea, director of the municipality's bureau of anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection, said the case had been sent to the court for further investigation into the claims of indecent acts against minors under the age of 15 years.

"We have now found five girls who said they were abused," he said, adding that the man had also overstayed his visa.

Harvey Alexander Johnson, 57, was arrested Sunday at his rented house in Phnom Penh's Boeung Kak commune following complaints and accusations that he abused at least 10 underage girls, Keo Thea said.

Samleang Seila, country director of anti-paedophile NGO Action Pours Les Enfants, said Monday his group tipped off the police and had suspected the man of sex crimes since mid-2007.

He said Johnson's activities as an English teacher and private tutor had raised suspicions after many girls were seen gathering at his house.

"His technique was very smart. His idea was to win the girls' parents' trust by collecting them to learn English at his home for free and by supporting them with study materials," Samleang Seila said.

"I warmly welcome the fact that the police have done their duty to keep arresting foreigners who are involved with child sex offenses, to ensure Cambodia's good reputation."

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not