The 50-year-old man, who carried on a one-year relationship with the 13-year-old victim, could face up to 10 years in prison
AN American man accused of sexually
assaulting an underage Cambodian girl is due to go to Phnom Penh
Municipal Court today, according to an official at the Interior
Bith Kimhong, director of the ministry's Anti-human Trafficking and
Juvenile Protection Department, said police arrested the 50-year-old
man, who was not named by police, on Tuesday at his rented house in
Boeung Salang commune.
"An American man is accused of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old
girl, but he has not confessed to the crime and has not yet requested a
lawyer," Bith Kimhong told the Post Wednesday.
"He entered Cambodia in 2007 and met the victim through her sister a year ago," he said.
Seila, a director for the French NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE),
said his organisation was aware of the American's relationship with the
girl prior to his arrest.
"The man had several sexual encounters with the girl," Samleang
Seila said, citing conversations he had with the victim, who he said
was a junior high school student in Phnom Penh."
Bith Kimhong said the government would not tolerate sexual harassment by foreign nationals.
law states that anyone convicted of having sex with a child under the
age of 15, even if it is consensual, faces five to 10 years in prison.
Bith Kimhong said seven foreign nationals have been arrested for paedophilia in Cambodia so far this year.