Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US National Archives publish time-lapse of American bombing of Cambodia

US National Archives publish time-lapse of American bombing of Cambodia

A picture dated 30 April 1970 of Republican US President Richard Nixon announcing during a press conference the entry of American soldiers in Cambodia.
A picture dated 30 April 1970 of Republican US President Richard Nixon announcing during a press conference the entry of American soldiers in Cambodia. STF/AFP

US National Archives publish time-lapse of American bombing of Cambodia

The United States National Archives last week released an animated graphic (below) showing the daily distribution of US airstrikes over Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos between October 2, 1965 and August 15, 1973.

The graphic shows a detailed analysis of bombing campaigns using data pulled from the US Air Force, Marines and Navy.

The animation was created for an ongoing exhibition that runs through January 2019 at the US National Archives Museum in Washington, DC titled Remembering Vietnam: Twelve Critical Episodes in the Vietnam War.

The exhibition is the first ever by the National Archives on the Vietnam War and features a trove of archival records spanning six presidential administrations as well as newly declassified information, according to a press release.

Clearly visible in the video – in which daily bombing strikes are marked as red dots – is the start of the first concerted US bombing campaign in Cambodia: the secret Operation Menu, which started under US President Richard Nixon and lasted from March 18, 1969 through May 28, 1970.

Before this, bombing operations were conducted in Cambodia beginning on October 4, 1965, according to the archives.

Bombing runs continued until August 15, 1973, to the end of Operation Freedom Deal. According to Yuki Tanaka and Marilyn B Young’s, Bombing Civilians: A Twentieth-Century History, more than 2.7 million tonnes of explosives are estimated to have been dropped on Cambodia by the US.

MOST VIEWED

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Vietnamese workers in Koh Kong questioned

    The General Department of Immigration (GDI) is questioning 49 Vietnamese nationals who were working illegally in Koh Kong province to build a case and send them back to Vietnam, its Department of Investigation and Procedure director Kem Sarin said on Thursday. GDI forces and provincial authorities

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to