Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US pedophile on trial in Battambang for child rape



US pedophile on trial in Battambang for child rape

Robert Boehnlein, a convicted American child sex offender, is escorted by local police after his arrest last month at a restaurant in Battambang town. He was tried Wednesday. Supplied
Robert Boehnlein, a convicted American child sex offender, is escorted by local police after his arrest last month at a restaurant in Battambang town. He was tried Wednesday. Supplied

US pedophile on trial in Battambang for child rape

US citizen Robert Boehnlein, who is accused of raping a 5-year-old girl in Battambang, was tried on Wednesday in Battambang Provincial Court, though no verdict was rendered.

Boehnlein, who is a convicted child sex offender in the US, was arrested by immigration police in Battambang town last July at the request of US officials.

The 66-year-old was previously convicted of sodomy and indecent acts with a child in Texas in 2002. According to records from the military court, Boehnlein had sexually abused his daughter for years. He was released from prison in 2011.

At the time of his arrest in Battambang, Boehnlein was wanted in the US for moving without notifying authorities.

According to Cambodian officials, Boehnlein had shuttled between Battambang and Siem Reap for years. His accuser, a 5-year-old girl, told authorities that Boehnlein had raped her several times in
2016 at the house in which she was living.

If convicted, he faces seven to 15 years in prison.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants