Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US urged to ‘denounce’ KRT political influence



US urged to ‘denounce’ KRT political influence

US urged to ‘denounce’ KRT political influence

A United States Congressman has called on the US to take action against alleged political interference at the Khmer Rouge tribunal and tie future funding to the court to a full investigation in Case 003.

Congressman Ed Royce, a California Republican, wrote to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to urge the US to “denounce” alleged interference at the tribunal by the Cambodian government. He also said the US should condition any future funding to, “at the very least”, an investigation in Case 003 that satisfies requests made by international co-prosecutor Andrew Cayley.

“Failing to do so would reinforce the sense of impunity currently enjoyed by those former Khmer Rouge commanders, who have not been held accountable for their actions,” Royce wrote in a letter dated last month and posted online yesterday.

Cayley requested for further investigation into Case 003 in May after the court’s co-investigating judges announced that their investigation was finished, despite the apparent fact that no suspects had been interviewed. National co-prosecutor Chea Leang has opposed prosecutions in Case 003, as has the Cambodian government.

Royce said Congress could not legally fund the court until Secretary Clinton “certified” that the United Nations and the Cambodian government “are taking credible steps to address allegations of corruption and mismanagement” at the court, noting that the US did not support the tribunal before 2009 due to concerns regarding its impartiality.

US embassy spokesman Mark Wenig said in an email yesterday that “there has been no final decision” on additional financial support to the court.

When asked whether the State Department would support Royce’s proposal on funding the court, Wenig said: “The US government believes that the Tribunal law and its internal rules can effectively address and resolve differences that may arise during the investigative phase and pretrial process.”

Phay Siphan, spokesman for the Council of Ministers, said yesterday that the government did not influence “any decision at all” at the court and said the Khmer Rouge came to power because of US policy towards Cambodia during the 1970s.

“No matter what the decision is”, he added, the tribunal “belongs to the interests of Cambodia and the UN” and not those of any other party.

Stephen Rapp, US Ambassador-at-large for War Crimes, said during a visit to Cambodia last month that the US administration was “working with congress to make a similar contribution” to what had been given in previous years. The US gave US$5 million to the court last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants