Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Vendors held for shaving thief’s head



Vendors held for shaving thief’s head

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A vendor holds down a thief that was suspected of stealing a mobile phone in the capital. facebook

Vendors held for shaving thief’s head

Three capital vendors were briefly detained by cops in Por Sen Chey district over the weekend for torturing an alleged thief by forcing her to shave all her hair off.

The three were initially detained under an order from the municipal court prosecutor.

After catching a woman in her twenties who they say stole a mobile phone from their Prey Tea market stall on Thursday, Song Heng, Nam Narith and Hok Kim Horn saw that all her hair was shaved off.

Yim Saran, the district’s police chief, confirmed that the suspects had been freed after being detained briefly.

“The woman who was accused of being a thief was released before the police arrived [at the scene]. The issue is done with,” he said.

According to a video about the case that is circulating on social media, the three were detained for a day and questioned before being released.

Several fellow vendors in the market stood behind their actions, claiming they just wanted justice for what had happened.

“[The three] did nothing wrong. They are owners of the items, so it is not right. They did not understand the law as they are normal people."

“The police should explain to them. We ask [police] to release them because they are good citizens in the village and never had problems with anyone,” they said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting