Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Victims of Battambang bus blaze await compensation




Victims of Battambang bus blaze await compensation

A burned out Rith Mony bus sits on the road in Battambang province earlier this week in the aftermath of a blaze that killed one person. Photo supplied
A burned out Rith Mony bus sits on the road in Battambang province earlier this week in the aftermath of a blaze that killed one person. Photo supplied

Victims of Battambang bus blaze await compensation

Passengers injured when a Rith Mony bus burst into flames on Saturday, killing one and injuring five, are demanding that the bus company pay reasonable compensation for their losses, with some filing complaints with Battambang provincial police.

The family of Long Thea, the 42-year-old man who died in the blaze, lodged a complaint with the police on Monday, but says it will drop the complaint if the company offers appropriate compensation for their loss. The family did not disclose how much they expect to receive.

“The company came to donate 1 million riel [about $250] for the funeral, and we are waiting to see what action it will take next and how much it will help,” said Teap Ry, Thea’s uncle.

The company, which was warned by the Transportation Ministry in 2013 to cut down on traffic accidents or face closure, has yet to visit many of the injured patients.

Prak Tachak and his wife Chhoen Sina, two of the passengers injured in the fire, confirmed that the company hadn’t gotten in touch with them. Tachak sustained minor injuries while Sina was badly burned on her face and hands.

“We will wait and see if my wife gets better,” Tachak said. “We do not know whether we will file a complaint, because we are afraid that they [the authorities] will charge us a lot of money.”

Pang Marin, a manager at Rith Mony, said the company is preparing the paperwork to provide compensation for the victims.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for kidnapping in capital

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia