As Phnom Penh prepares to welcome in the New Year with a firework display tonight, the family of a man killed in a tragic explosion earlier this year has pleaded with Prime Minister Hun Sen to give them greater financial support.
University student Na Kry Daro, 22, was killed in October when fireworks set up by soldiers in the capital misfired during celebrations to mark the 10th anniversary of King Norodom Sihamoni’s coronation.
Authorities put the tragedy down to a freak accident, and Kry Daro’s family was reportedly offered about $2,000 from Hun Sen and the committee behind the display.
But Kry Dao’s parents, Van Na Kry and Phan Chhunteng, say this is not enough and claim that requests for greater support have, so far, been ignored.
In a letter that was sent to Hun Sen on Monday, they asked for more money.
“I sold our land and properties to support my son’s studies, but unfortunately he died. Therefore, I want Samdech [Hun Sen] to help since the death of my son is a national issue, and in the past Samdech helped the victims of the Water Festival [stampede],” Chhunteng said.
Tith Sothea, spokesman for the Press and Quick Reaction Unit, said a decision on whether to offer more money would be made by Hun Sen.
Meanwhile, City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche said he was not concerned about accidents occurring as a result of this evening’s display at Koh Pich, as a meeting had been held with “relevant parties”.