Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Victims to have a say on whether KRT should try more suspects

Victims to have a say on whether KRT should try more suspects

Victims to have a say on whether KRT should try more suspects

A DC-Cam survey will ask the victims of the KR regime to voice their opinions on the question: Should more people be put in the dock?

A SURVEY commissioned by the Documentation Centre of Cambodia (DC-Cam) will ask ordinary Cambodians to weigh in on the question that has divided the national and international prosecutors at the Khmer Rouge tribunal: Should additional suspects be brought to trial?

DC-Cam Director Youk Chhang said the survey, to be administered over the next few weeks, will give Cambodians not affiliated with the war crimes court an opportunity to voice their views as to how it should be run.   

"The role of the ECCC is to provide a final judgment to the victims, and a fair judgment cannot be made unless they listen to the victims," he said. "Victims are not only the witness of history; they are also judges."

Robert Petit, the international prosecutor at the tribunal, filed a "statement of disagreement" last month after he failed to reach an agreement with Chea Leang, his Cambodian counterpart, on his proposal to submit more suspects for investigation.

Chea Leang has reiterated her opposition to expand the list of suspects beyond the five currently detained, saying such a move could stymie efforts at national reconciliation and overstretch the court's budget.

In addition to asking respondents whether they think the ECCC should try more than the five current detainees, the survey asks whether they think "the cost of the trials should be an important factor" in determining how many KR leaders to prosecute; if they expect additional prosecutions would lead to "public disorder or violence";  and whether they think the ECCC should wait for the trials of the current detainees to be completed before making fresh indictments.

Youk Chhang said he was forming a "professional team" to arrange for the survey to be conducted, adding that he expects to receive results by early February.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman